Thursday, December 2, 2010

The House Passes Extension of Tax Cuts

In a bold move that hearkens back to the ideas that Obama ran on in 2008, the House Democrats pushed a vote on the Bush Era Tax Breaks today and were able to pass it 234-188 in favor of extending the breaks only for earnings of less than $250,000 a year. It is a move that some are calling a moot point since the Senate will likely not even get a chance to vote on the same measure due to promise of a filibuster by the Senate Republicans, but it is a move that pulls the argument out of the right's hands and makes it a far less easy case to to look good winning. If the Republicans do not allow this to pass, it drives it home even harder that they are only in favor of tax cuts if they benefit the most wealthy Americans. They would be showing that the most fortunate 10% of Americans are more important than the other 90%. That coupled with the fact that they are blocking extended help for the unemployed, they are really letting their true loyalties show. Republicans go where the money is.

Our debt needs to be addressed. The only way that we will truly be able to get it under control is to increase revenue -- taxes. If you try to take more from those who are already using their entire paycheck just to get by, we will be in deeper crisis as a country with more foreclosures and more people unable to take care of themselves. Those monies must come from those who have gained the most from the way that the economy has been structured. This country has disproportionally favored a few individuals and it is about time that they chip in to help pay for the things that they have gained from it all.

The important thing to remember is that EVERYONE will still get a tax break. This bill isn't singling out individuals to not partake in a take break, it is singling out dollar amounts. Everyone will get a break on the first $250,000 they make -- even those that make $5 million each year, or $5 billion each year. It is only the dollars made after $250,000 that are not getting the break.

The House Democrats showed the moxie that I feel has been lacking in the Democratic party. Democrats need to be fierce and stand up for what they believe in, even if it is against the odds. Obama has been trying to take the easy, civil way out the last two years, and I truly think that the Democrat base and other progressives who tend to vote Democrat are getting sick of the caving that the Democrats have demonstrated for the last 10 years.

If the people are going to get their government to work for them again instead of the corporations, we must be more aggressive and not compromise our ideals away.


Democrats that voted against it:
Ron Klein (Fla.), Kathy Dahlkemper (Pa.), Stephanie Herseth Sandlin (S.D.), Mike McMahon (N.Y.), Walt Minnick (Iowa) and Gene Taylor (Miss.), Brian Baird (Wash.), Artur Davis (Ala.), Reps. Dan Boren (Okla.), Lloyd Doggett (Texas), Jim Matheson (Utah), Mike McIntyre (N.C.), Jerry McNerney (Calif.), Gwen Moore (Wisc.), Jerry Moran (Va.), Collin Peterson (Minn.), Bobby Scott (Va.), Mike Thompson (Calif.) and Peter Visclosky (Ind.). 
Please write to these representatives to persuade them to support this measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment